To the Asian American and Pacific Islander (AAPI) community in the Department of Psychological Science, UNC Charlotte, and broader Charlotte community, we stand with you against hate.
The AAPI community has experienced an increase in relentless violence over the past year. And on March 16, 2021, a white man in Atlanta shot and killed 8 people, 6 of whom were Asian women. We mourn the lives that were lost. This was an act of terrorism steeped in and motivated by misogyny, classism, immigration status biases, professional class biases, and white supremacy.
The Department of Psychological Science will continue its efforts in dismantling and critically interrogating the systems of oppression and discrimination that have resulted in the hate crimes plaguing the AAPI community. We do so in order to create space where one day every member of our community feels safe and valued.
We encourage students, faculty, and staff to reach out to continue the conversation. We recognize that this is a time of great fear and sorrow for our AAPI community and are here to offer our support.
Finally, we encourage all to care for their mental and physical health during these uncertain and threatening times. Below are a few resources:
If you want to help:
- Asian American Advancing Justice will be holding bystander intervention virtual trainings to stop anti-Asian and Asian American harassment.
- Learning for Justice provides a toolkit for how to respond to anti-Asian discrimination.
- Stop AAPI Hate offers a platform in which you can report a hate incident.
- College Concensus offers a guide on anti-racism for AAPI students and allies.
If you need support:
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline ( 1-800-273-TALK)
- Asian Languages: 1-877-990-8585
- Asian, Pacific Islander, and Souther Asian American (APISAA) Therapist Directory
- Asian American Psychological Association
Charlotte Area Resources:
- Center for Counseling and Psychological Services at UNC Charlotte
- Office of Academic Integrity and Inclusion
- Office of Identity, Equity, and Engagement
- Resources for the AAPI Community in Charlotte
- Chinese American Association of Charlotte
- Southeast Asian Coalition
- North Carolina Asian Americans Together
- Carolinas Asian-American Chamber of Commerce